Monday, October 5, 2009

Liar, Liar

Had an interesting discussion with an author friend of mine. I have on several places described myself as a liar. My thought process goes like this: I write fiction. Fiction is not true. I make stuff up. So, in my estimation as a writer of fiction, I am a liar. I separate this author side of me from my personal life where I am not a liar. We won't go into the term two-faced here.
My author friend considers herself a decent and moral person. And I suppose she was offended that I would automatically categorize her as a liar. She writes fiction and makes stuff up.
I hope we are still friends from all this and I think we are. But it begs the question when I sometimes foolishly make a statement and then must back it up if someone is offended.
So if you take offense at the fact that we fiction writers are purveyors of non-fact, which my dad always classified as a liar, I'm deeply sorry. But -- non-facts are non-facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment