Thursday, October 8, 2009

Jump Start

I was asked a familiar question the other day. Where do you get all your ideas? I always have a flippant answer, but it got me thinking. Where do they come from and I guess the best honest answer is from observation. I watch people wherever I go. I wonder what they are doing, what they do for a living, why they have that expression on their face? I also eavesdrop. I know, that's not polite. I try not to be obvious about it, but I love hearing how conversation evolves. Do you notice how we sometimes change subjects quickly when we have a thought? Can't really do that in writing. The dialog must flow and only add to the plot.
But, back to the point - see how easy it is to get sidetracked?
My ideas come from looking at a situation and posing the 'what if' questions. Take a innocuous scene and make it bad or more interesting. Then take it further with more what ifs. Pretty soon you will have a conflict and some adventure or romance or maybe a murder.
And most important - write down that idea. If you don't, it'll disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment